Aged Cheddar Biscuits
Makes 12 biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup grated extra-old cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cheddar.
- Add heavy cream and stir gently with a wooden spoon until dry ingredients are just moistened, being careful not to over mix.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. Using your hands, fold it one or two times so it becomes a cohesive mass and press it down to an even ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch round cookie-cutter, cut out biscuits as closely together as possible. Gather together scraps, pat down, and cut out more biscuits. Discard any remaining scraps.
- Arrange biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a 425°F oven until risen and golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool slightly and serve warm.