Braised Beef and Root Vegetables
- 2 kg chuck roast
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) vegetable oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 200 g slab bacon, cut into a medium dice
- 2 large onions, thinly sliced
- 12 shallots, peeled
- 12 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 cup (250ml) apple juice
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 4 bay leaves
- ½ bunch of thyme
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper.
- In a large Dutch oven, add the vegetable oil and cook the slab bacon until browned and lightly crisped.
- Remove bacon to paper towel to drain, sear the beef in the pot until browned on all sides and then remove to a plate.
- Remove some of the fat and add onions, shallots and garlic, stirring to get the brown bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the apple juice, and reduce by half then add the beef stock, bay leaves and thyme. Return beef and bacon to the pot, cover it, and roast for an hour.
- After an hour, turn the beef over, stir the onions and roast another hour. Add more beef stock if the pot is too dry.
- Remove the beef from the pot, add the carrots, parsnips, celery root and turnip and then return the beef back to the pot on top of the vegetables.
- Roast another 45 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Transfer the beef to a serving platter, season the sauce and vegetables to taste and pour the sauce and vegetables over the beef.
©2015-2016 Molson Coors Canada. For more Beer & Food pairings visit www.brewsandbites.ca