Braised Brisket and Kraut Sandwich
- 1.5 kg piece of beef brisket, whole
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) vegetable oil
- 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- 2 onions, halved
- 2 celery stalks, cut into large chunks
- 1 whole head garlic, cut in ½
- 2 cups (500ml) apple juice
- 1-825 ml can whole tomatoes, hand-crushed
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- ¼ bunch fresh thyme, leaves only
- 4 sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves only
- 8 slices rye bread, lightly toasted
- 1 cup (250ml) prepared sauerkraut
- 200g Swiss cheese, sliced
- ¼ cup (65ml) Russian dressing
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat vegetable oil in large Dutch oven over medium high heat, season the brisket generously with salt and pepper, and sear the brisket on both sides until nice and browned.
- Remove the brisket and add the carrots, onions, celery and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add the apple juice, tomatoes, stock, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary and return the brisket to the pot.
- Cover the pot and roast in the oven for 3 hours until the brisket is fork tender.
- Remove the brisket to a cutting board and let the brisket rest for 15-20 minutes, then slice thinly against the grain.
- To assemble the sandwiches, top the rye with the Russian dressing, the sauerkraut, the brisket slices and the sauerkraut and serve warm.
©2015-2016 Molson Coors Canada. For more Beer & Food pairings visit www.brewsandbites.ca