PEI Mussels with Marinated Tomatoes & Fennel
- 1 pint Cherry Tomatoes, halved*
- 1 bulb Fennel, sliced
- 2 each Shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves, removed from stems
- to taste Salt & Black Pepper
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- 2 pounds Mussels
- ¼ cup Starling Traditional Dry Mead Honey Wine (Honeydew Apiaries)
- Remove stalks, root end of fennel, and slice bulb thinly; rough chop stalks and reserve for steaming mussels.
- Place sliced fennel bulb in medium bowl with cherry tomatoes, shallots, and garlic.
- Add smoked paprika, thyme leaves, salt, pepper, and olive oil; mix well. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2-3 hours or until ready to use.
- Just before serving, heat a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add mussels, reserved fennel stalks, and honey wine. Cover pot with a lid and allow mussels to steam for 5-7 minutes or until all of the shells have opened.
- Mix marinated tomato mixture into steamed mussels; discarding any unopened shells. Serve immediately.
- For a different twist, roast tomato-fennel mixture before mixing with steamed mussels.
* Cherry tomatoes can be substituted with any type of tomato.
Pairs well with: