PREP TIME: 4 hours
COOK TIME: 15 min
- 2 tbsp. (30g) unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp. (30g) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500ml) whole milk, warmed
- 250 g prepared, cooked seafood such as cod, shrimp, scallops, etc. (making sure any skin or bones removed)
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp. (30g) chopped parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten with 2 tbsp. (30ml) water.
- 100 g fine bread crumbs or panko
- oil for frying
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and whisk in flour until smooth.
- Slowly add milk, whisking carefully to prevent any lumps. Continue stirring until sauce is smooth and thick, being sure not to let burn, 6-7 minutes.
- Add seafood, lemon juice and rind and season with salt and pepper. Gently stir in chopped parsley.
- Transfer to a bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap and let chill for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Using clean, wet hands, divide mixture into 24 balls. Wetting hands again, roll balls into 5 cm long cork shapes.
- Set egg/water mixture and breadcrumbs into separate shallow bowls. Season both with salt.
- Dip croquettes into egg/water mixture and then roll in breadcrumbs making sure they are well coated.
- Heat enough oil in a large sauce pan or set a deep-fryer to 350-375 degrees.
- In batches, fry croquettes until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
©2015-2016 Molson Coors Canada. For more Beer & Food pairings visit www.brewsandbites.ca