Slow Cooker Beef Chili
Makes 12 cups
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- Oil for frying
- 1/3 cup minced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 can no-salt diced tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 can kidney beans, drained
- 2 cups frozen corn kernels
- Green onions and fresh cilantro to garnish
- In a heavy-bottom skillet over medium-high heat, brown beef in 2 batches, making sure you get a nice dark brown color on the meat. Transfer meat to the slow cooker.
- Let the skillet cool slightly, reduce heat to medium-low. Add oil, then add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the spices and cook another minute. Add tAhe toatoes, brown sugar and vinegar and bring to a simmer.
- Add to slow cooker, stir and turn to low heat.
- Cook for 4-5 hours, stirring halfway, until meat is tender and sauce is thickened. Add corn and beans, cook another hour.
- Serve with thinly sliced green onions and cilantro leaves.