Strawberry Rhubarb Pie
Makes 1 pie.
- 1 cup white sugar
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, chopped into ½ inch pieces
- 4 cups halved fresh strawberries
- Zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 recipe pastry for a double-crust pie
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In a large bowl, mix flour and sugar. Add strawberries and chopped rhubarb. Toss with sugar and flour and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Roll out ½ the pastry recipe and place in bottom of pie tin. Roll out remaining crust and use a cookie cutter to cut into shapes, set aside.
- Pour filling into pie crust. Dot top with butter, then decorate using cut-outs.
- Use a pastry brush to apply yolk to top of pie. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and brown. Cool on a rack for 30 minutes before serving.