Trent’s Holiday Picks
Holiday Beer Pick
Dusty Boots Hard Root Beer
Dusty Boots Hard Root Beer pours a clear, medium bronze amber head that is puffy and loosely foamy. The smell is earthy and somewhat musky and certainly reminiscent of sweet root beer soda. The bubbles are short lived, the body is middleweight, smooth and creamy. It offers a sweet edgy root beer finish.
Dusty Boots Root Beer is sure to be a crowd pleaser at your holiday gatherings. Serve it cold on it’s own or add it into recipes such as a BBQ root beer sauce for slow cooker pulled pork.
Trent’s Slow Cooker Pulled Pork in Root Beer BBQ Sauce
- 2 pound pork loin
- 1 Bottle of Dusty Boots Root Beer
- 1 ½ – 2 cups of a maple BBQ Sauce
- Place the pork tenderloin in a slow cooker; pour the root beer over the meat.
- Cover and cook on low until well cooked and the pork shreds easily, 6 to 7 hours. (Note: time may vary according to individual slow cooker).
- Drain well. Stir in barbecue sauce.
- Serve over hamburger buns topped with coleslaw.
Holiday Wine Pick
Batasiolo Moscato d’Asti Docg
Fragrant and aromatic are the best words to describes this Moscato d’Asti. It offers aromas of peach and apricot along with pungent floral notes and a musky perfume.
It’s a low-alcohol (5.5%), slightly effervescent dessert wine that delivers wonderful palate flavours of peach and honey with a cloyingly creamy mouthfeel.
The Batasiolo Moscato d’Asti Docg is a very pleasant dessert wine to pair with fruit desserts and pastries such as baklava. It is an ideal and famous accompaniment to “panettone” (an Italian Christmas sweetbread) and other traditional Christmas sweets.
My favorite occasion to serve this wine is during a multicourse meal. It can be used as a digestif to cleanse and stimulate the palate for dessert.
Holiday Spirit Pick
Plantation 5 Y.O. Rum Grand Reserve
Amber gold in colour, Plantation 5 yr old grand reserve is a true bajan rum with complex and well balanced notes of ripe tropical fruits and vanilla with hints of with peach and coconut.
The palate is warm and complex with two levels of flavours. It is a blend of column and pot still rums from Barbados that are first aged in bourbon casks in the tropical climate of Barbados them sent to France for a second aging in small oak cognac barrels.
Trent’s Swift-Turtle Cocktail
- 2 oz Plantation Barbados (Grande Reserve) Rum
- 1/2 oz Lime Juice
- 1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
- 3/8 oz sugar syrup (1:1 ratio)
- dash cocktail Bitters
- ice orange peel
- Add the first four ingredients into a metal shaker with ice
- Shake until the outside of the shaker begins to frost
- Strain into a cocktail glass
- Garnish with a strip of orange peel