Buttery Soft Potato Rolls
Makes 24 small or 16 large rolls
- 1 ½ cups cool mashed potatoes
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup soft butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup melted butter for brushing
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Mix in mashed potatoes, sugar, butter, eggs, salt, and 3 cups flour. Stir in the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough has become soft but not sticky. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat with oil. Cover with plastic wrap, and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 16 or 24 equal pieces and use your hands to form into round balls. Place into 2 greased bundt pans, cover with plastic, and let rise for 1 hour. Brush generously with more melted butter.
- Bake in preheated 400F oven for 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Let cool slightly, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.