Dark Chocolate and Salted Toffee Bark
Makes 1 large pan (about 36 pieces)
- 2 cups salted butter
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped toasted nuts (walnuts, pecans or almonds are all great)
- 1 tsp flaked sea salt such as Maldon
- Cover a large baking sheet with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter and sugar and place a candy thermometer in the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, remove from heat and pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften and melt. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer, then sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Lightly sprinkle with the salt.
- Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until completely set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.