Spicy Shrimp Tacos
PREP TIME: 25 mins
COOK TIME: 15 min
- 2 to 3 dried ancho chilies, stemmed
- 2 tbsp. (30g) butter
- 2 cloves (6g) minced garlic
- ½ tsp. (2.5g) fresh black pepper
- ½ tsp. (2.5g) dried oregano
- ⅔ cup (160ml) chicken broth
- 1 ¼ lbs. (550g) medium shrimp, peeled, deveined (if you wish) and cut into pieces slightly smaller than ½ inch
- A pinch (3-4g) fine sea salt
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) vegetable oil
- 12 fresh corn tortillas
- 1 cup (225g) shredded Mexican melting cheese
- In a medium (10-inch) skillet over medium heat, toast the ancho chilies until they are noticeably darker and very aromatic, about 1 1/2 minutes. Cool, then crumble into small pieces.
- Heat the butter in the skillet over medium heat, add the garlic and stir for a minute. Stir in the chile pieces, pepper, oregano and broth, raise the temperature to medium-high and boil until the mixture has reduced to just a few tablespoons and is noticeably thicker, about 8 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and stir until the pieces are nearly cooked through, about 4 minutes (there should be just a hint of pink at the center). Remove from the heat, taste and season with salt, usually 1/2 teaspoon.
- Lightly oil the tortillas, lay them by pairs on a griddle or skillet over medium heat, flipping to warm through. Top each pair with a portion of the cheese and let melt, then top with a hefty amount of the filling and serve.
©2015-2016 Molson Coors Canada. For more Beer & Food pairings visit www.brewsandbites.ca