Orange and Cognac Spiked Hot Cocoa
A grown-up version of a classic holiday treat, the dark chocolate in this hot cocoa is paired with fresh orange and smooth cognac flavours.
Makes 6 servings.
- 4 1/2 cups whole (3.25%) milk
- 2 large oranges
- ¼ cup sugar
- 6 oz good-quality dark chocolate, at least 60% cocoa
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 6 oz Grand Marnier
- Orange peel twists for garnish
- Pour milk into heavy large saucepan.
- Using vegetable peeler, remove peel (orange part only) from the oranges.
- Add peel and sugar to milk, then bring mixture to simmer over medium heat.
- Remove from heat, then Cover and let steep 30 minutes. Remove orange peels.
- Bring mixture back to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add chopped chocolate and cocoa powder, then whisk until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Grand Marnier.
- Divide between heatproof mugs and sprinkle with chocolate shavings and orange peel twists.