- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 butter, cut into cubes
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- In a large bowl, soak the raisins, fruit and currants in apple juice for 1 hour; drain and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups of flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a small saucepan, heat milk and butter to just above room temperature. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add the eggs, zest and extract; beat until smooth. Stir in the almond, fruit mixture and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll each half into a 12×8-in. oval. Fold one of the long sides over to within 1 inch of the opposite side and press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes on wire racks, then brush with melted butter and dust generously with sugar.