Makes approx. 48 x 3 inch cookies
- ½ cup vegetable shortening
- ½ cup white sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- In a medium bowl, cream together shortening, sugar and molasses until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg and mix another minute.
- In a large bowl, sift together remaining ingredients. Fold in wet mixture and mix for one minute, until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough very thinly, between 1/8 and ¼ inch thick. Cut out desired shapes and space evenly on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes, rotating once halfway through. Let cool on a wire rack and decorate as desired.