Irish Soda Bread with Currants
Makes 1 loaf.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup very cold butter
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, well shaken
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- Spray a black cast-iron skillet with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt and currants.
- Use a hand-held grater to grate the cold butter into the flour mixture, then mix well to coat the butter in flour mixture.
- Stir in the buttermilk until just barely combined, then spoon the soft batter into the skillet.
- Cut a ½ inch deep “X” in the dough and bake until browned on top, about 40 minutes.
- Turn the bread out onto a plate and serve with lots of butter and homemade jam.