PEI Mussels with Grilled Chorizo and Tomato
- 2 lbs PEI mussels, washed and drained
- 1 lb dry-cured chorizo sausage, sliced about ¼ inch thick
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 Large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley leaves for garnish
- Fresh crusty bread for serving
- Pre-heat your grill to 450°F. Grill the chorizo pieces for about 3 minutes on each side, until lightly charred, then remove from heat.
- Place a large dutch oven directly on the grill, add the olive oil and garlic and saute for 2 minutes, until the garlic is soft and translucent. Add the chorizo and tomatoes, stir everything together and then let it come to a simmer. Add all the mussels, stir to combine and then put a tight fitting lid on the pot. Cook for 6-8 minutes, stirring halfway through, or until all the mussels are open.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and enjoy with some crusty bread.