Skip the store-bought stuff and treat your guests to your own homemade spiked eggnog. This recipe can be made lighter by using light cream instead of coffee cream, or spicier by using spiced rum.
Makes 12 servings.
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 cups milk
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups (or to taste) light, amber or spiced rum of your choice
- 4 cups 18% cream (or use 10% cream for a lighter tasting eggnog)
- Combine milk, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
- In a large bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar and whisk together until fluffy.
- Whisk hot milk mixture slowly into the eggs, then pour mixture back into saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly for 3 minutes, or until thick. Do not allow mixture to boil.
- Strain to remove cloves, and let cool for about an hour.
- Stir in rum, cream and vanilla, then refrigerate overnight.
- Serve topped with freshly grated nutmeg and a cinnamon stick.