Corned Beef Dinner
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 corned beef brisket with spice packet (about 3 pounds), rinsed.
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
- 1 medium onion, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 small head green cabbage, cut into 6 wedges and core removed
- Place the brisket and contents of spice packet in a Dutch oven.
- Add the peppercorns, bay leaves and enough water to cover; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours or until meat is almost tender.
- Add potatoes, carrots and onion; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves and peppercorns.
- Thinly slice the corned beef and serve with vegetables and horseradish or mustard if desired.