Moonshine Maple BBQ Chicken
- 1 whole 2-3 lb chicken, cut up into 8 equal pieces
- 2L of amber ginger ale (not diet)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, smashed
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp Maritime Madness Chipotle Garlic hot sauce
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- ½ – ⅔ cup Deep Roots Island Tide (to taste)
- Combine the cut up chicken and the ginger ale in a large dutch oven. Season generously with salt and pepper and bring to a bare simmer over low heat and cook for 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and garlic and ginger and saute for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well, then lower the heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes while the chicken cooks. Let the sauce cool a bit, then puree with a hand blender or food processor until very smooth.
- Drain the chicken well (discard the cooking liquid) and pat it dry. Heat a grill or BBQ to 425F and brush well to remove any charred bits. Place the chicken on the grill and brush right away with the BBQ sauce. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then turn and brush generously again with more sauce and cook another 3 minutes. Enjoy right away. You can keep any leftover sauce in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.