Orange Chocolate Pot de Creme
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 6 ounces (180g) dark chocolate
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsp (1 shot) espresso or strong coffee
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Zest of ½ an orange
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp cold water
- A little flaked sea salt to garnish (such as Maldon)
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, whisk the sweetened condensed milk, milk and heavy cream until combined. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- The the pan off the heat and add the finely-chopped chocolate, cocoa powder, espresso, vanilla, orange and salt. Whisk until the chocolate melts and the cocoa powder is completely dissolved.
- Mix cornstarch and cold water in a bowl with a fork until completely dissolved, then add to the chocolate mixture.
- Place the pan back over medium heat and cook, whisking constantly, scraping the sides and the bottom of the pan to prevent burning, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Strain the mixture right away to remove any lumps.
- Let the mixture cool slightly, then divide between 6 to 8 ramekins. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving topped with a sprinkle of flaked sea salt.