Makes 1 pancake. Serves 6.
- 1 lb russet potatoes, peeled
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp canola oil, divided
- Lay a clean dishtowel on your work surface.
- Use a hand grater to grate the potatoes onto the towel.
- Season with salt and pepper, then toss to combine.
- Wrap the potatoes up in the towel, then let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a 9 or 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat.
- Twist the dishtowel firmly to squeeze out the excess water from the potatoes. Get as much out as you can!
- Add half the oil to the pan, then press the potatoes into the pan in a single layer, pressing them down just a little bit.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, until golden and crispy on the bottom.
- Place a large plate upside down on top of the skillet and flip the pancake onto the plate.
- Return skillet to burner, add remaining oil, then carefully slide the pancake back into the pan with the cooked side up.
- Cook another 5 minutes, until golden and crispy. Serve with fresh chopped herbs and sour cream.