Roasted Acorn Squash with Cranberry & Summer Savory Stuffing
Makes 6 Servings
- 2 small acorn squash
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup minced celery
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 Tbsp dried summer savory
- 4 slices of crusty bread in ½ inch cubes
- ½ cup of dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper
- A little melted butter for brushing (about 2 Tbsp)
- Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds, then lay the squash cut side up on a baking sheet. Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Heat a small saucepan over medium heat, then add the butter, onion, garlic and celery. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring often, then remove from heat. Stir in the remaining ingredients, then stir well to combine and season to taste with salt and pepper. Divide the filling between the 4 hollowed out squash halves (pack it loosely).
- Melt a little more butter in the same pan, then use a pastry brush to brush melted butter over the squash and stuffing.
- Bake the squash for 35-50 minutes, until they are soft when pierced with a knife and the filling is a dark golden brown on top.