Saffron Rice Stuffed Sweet Peppers
Makes 8 peppers
- 6 cups water or vegetable stock
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium spanish onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups white long grain rice
- 5 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Combine the water or stock, 2 teaspoons salt and saffron in a medium saucepan over high heat and simmer until the threads open and the stock turns bright yellow, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the pot on the stove to keep warm.
- Add the oil to a medium saucepan over medium high heat, add onion and saute until soft. Add the rice and garlic and stir to coat with the oil. Add the warm saffron broth to the rice, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in the chopped tomatoes.
- Cut the tops off of 8 bell peppers and use a spoon to scoop out the ribs and seeds. Fill the peppers up with the cooked rice, place the tops back on and place in a greased casserole. Bake in a 350F oven for 30-35 minutes, until the peppers are soft. Serve warm.