Maple, Orange and Beetroot Cured Salmon
Makes 2 lb Salmon (Serves 6-8)
- Juice and zest of 1 orange
- 1 medium red beet, peeled and grated
- Juice and zest of one orange
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 3 Tbsp salt
- ½ cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 lb boneless skinless salmon filet
- In a medium bowl mix together everything except the salmon to make the curing mixture. Stir together well.
- Lay the salmon in a 9×9 pan or casserole dish, then pour the curing mixture overtop. Flip the salmon over and make sure it’s well coated in the mixture.
- Cover the salmon in plastic wrap, then refrigerate for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- Unwrap the salmon, then use a damp cloth to remove the cure. Slice the salmon as thin as you can and then serve ice cold right away, with thinly sliced red onions, caper, cream cheese and crackers.
- Note: once you remove the cure from the outside of the salmon, you can keep it in a tightly sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days.