Tomato and Fennel Seafood Cioppino (GF)
Makes 4-6 Servings.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 head fennel sliced thinly
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 can (3-4 cups) no-salt whole peeled tomatoes
- 500ml clam juice or fish stock
- 1 lb raw mussels, washed
- ½ lb raw scallops
- ½ lb raw shrimp
- ½ lb cubed fish such as haddock or cod
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh chopped basil to garnish
- Heat a large dutch oven over medium heat, then add the oil, onion, garlic, spices and fennel to the pot. Cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until the fennel and onion are translucent. Add the wine and cook another 5 minutes, until all the liquid is gone.
- Add the juice from the can of tomatoes, then crush the tomatoes into chunks using your hands and add them to the pot. Add the clam juice and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Turn the heat back up to medium and bring the pot to a simmer, then add all the seafood at once. Stir the pot gently a couple of times, then let the seafood cook for about 5 minutes, stirring gently one or twice. Taste the broth and add more salt and pepper if needed. Remove the pot from the heat, divide into serving bowls and garnish with fresh chopped basil and serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!
Pairs well with:
La Vieille Ferme Rose